Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Green Water Miracle

Here is a thread I started for guppies.com back in 2006 that has since become one of their most widely viewd threads at over 12,000 views. Enjoy!

The Green Water Miracle
Hello Guppians:I am not sure where this thread should really go, but I HAVE to share this with you.Like everyone else who is serious about raising guppies, I do the bare-bottom tank/ water-changing/ multiple feedings/ live brine shrimp routine. However, there is a far better way.Back at the end of May I set up a 5 gallon tank right in front of a North window, equipped it with a box filter, and promptly dumped 8 young snakeskin females into it. I had 2 gorgeous males that were about two days away from death that I really did not think had a chance to mate-- the females were virgin from about the age of 3 weeks. So we have 10 adult guppies in a 5 gallon tank.The water turned green almost immediately and actually resembled pea soup-- I couldn't even see the fish!!It is now September and that 5 gallon is absolutely teaming with fry of all ages, growing easily twice as fast as the fry in other tanks, the original females are the size of BIG swordtails and the 2 old males are growing and acting like juvies!!Not a single water change. No brine shrimp. One daily feeding(if they are lucky) of flake food. I did have to change the filter medium when the box filter started floating around the beginning of August.I am presently conducting an experiment with a drop of high-dollar German Red Lace Snakes. I put half in a clean tank with 4 + feedings a day, lots of brine shrimp and water changes. The other half went into green water with NO water changes and 1 brine shrimp feeding per day. At 4 weeks of age I can tell you there is NO comparison!Green water is an absolute miracle.Check it out.Greg

8 comments:

  1. This is very true..although I am not a professional breeder..but been experimenting with my guppies and they do grow bigger and faster in green murky water...I was afraid that they would have troubles breathing etc etc...but they look like they are a lot healthier than the ones in a cleaner tank...mine now sits outside, with very little waterchange(almost none) and no filtre even...thinking about getting a bubble thing though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, so have you continued to raise your guppies in green water? What about raising them outside in the summer months in green water?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Joni. I still raise my guppies in green water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Joni. I still raise my guppies in green water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you keep the water green? Any tips? Do you add an air stone to the tanks? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Just make sure enough sunlight falls on the water and it's sure to turn green. Welcome. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Just started doing this 3 weeks ago. Yes, the water is starting to turn green. Yet, it doesn’t stink. Will it? Will there be a point where water must be changed? Currently, just adding clean water to replace what is evaporated. I’m in Los Angeles where day temps are in the 90’s and nights are in the 70’s. Will you bring them in for the Winter? Or just cover the tank. Guppies are now living/thriving in a large Sterlite container with elodia plants.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Thanks for sharing such an informative post. If you are looking for different sizes, colors, captivating, beautiful and eye-catching guppies then this website will be the best for you. Here you will get all your desired guppies.

    ReplyDelete